Sunday, July 30, 2023

Quick Skirt...uh...Checkerboard Lovecore?

 I thought the pink T-shirt in the previous post and the red/gray/black plaid jacket from the post before that coordinated nicely, so thought I'd make a skirt to go with them.  Turns out this is not a skirt that goes with them, but it is something I've been thinking of making for a while--well, thinking of combining these prints, at least

It's mostly rectangles, no pattern, with all part sizes determined by existing fabric dimensions.  The heart print fabric was a few inches wider than the checkerboard print, so I ripped off those few inches at one selvedge, and that became the waistband. The waistband length was shorter than the skirt width, so I used the ruffler to do a small amount of gathering to get the skirt to fit the waistband.  I pulled the elastic around my waist and cut it, no idea what length it is.

I decided to add pockets, too, and also limit them to the piece of fabric I chose to use, cutting them freehand.  They're...uh...they're a bit small.

But they're still pockets!

Seam and hem placement were determined by the checkerboard print.


I sewed all parts of this with pink and (after the bobbin ran out) red thread, except the hem.  I chose white thread for that because then I have the option to go over it with black on the black squares.  I probably won't do that, but it's an option.

Although this skirt does not fulfill the original purpose of coordinating with the plaid jacket (it's the gray versus no gray that keeps it from working for me), it still coordinates well with the shirts I just made.

No comments:

Post a Comment