Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Sheet to the Mend

 Well, not actually mended--Husband does not like the feeling of patches on fitted sheets, so when a hole appeared in a fitted sheet recently, we bought a brand new (relatively) low cost all cotton sheet set, since I don't go a'thriftin' as much as I used to, and, when I do go, there's noticeably less of the kinds of things I want, including 100% cotton sheet sets.

That still gave us two sets of sheets to rotate...until I washed the other set and, oh, look: a hole.  That brought us to at least five flat sheets no longer accompanied by matching fitted sheets, so I decided to see if a flat sheet is big enough to turn into a fitted sheet.  It is!

I laid a sheet out on the bed, making it hang over each edge as evenly as possible, and pinned the corners.  Machine stitch along the pin line, then cut off the excess with the serger, and thank my past self for buying that 144 yard spool of ½" knit elastic from Wawak.  I zigzagged the elastic around the short ends and it fits the bed fine.

Granted, the sheet chosen is rather threadbare around the edges, so may not last too long in its new position, but it's fine--we have a  few more to spare.

(I have also sewn a simple buttoned shirt, but have not yet taken photos.)

No comments:

Post a Comment