Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Check

 I got this fabric in July from the craft thrift store

and had the strong urge to make a boxy 1980s shirt from it.

I had gotten this pattern from the craft thrift store in October, and it is very much a boxy shirt pattern from 1983


 Did I have as much of that fabric as this pattern wanted?  I did not.  Did that stop me?  It did not.

 

 It's an uneven plaid, so it had to be treated like a one way print.  I completely ignored the pattern layout and shortened the shirt by 3" and there was plenty of fabric.

 I can't remember the last time I connected the dots on a dart when working with cotton.  So much easier to draw on than nubby wool or slippery lining fabrics.

Not that the dart ended up in quite the right place.

It points a little high, and I don't think that's just because I made this in size 12 when I technically should have made it in 14.  I made it one size down because I expected its 1980s Boxiness to be excessive--there are no finished bust measurements listed anywhere, and I didn't measure the pattern pieces because I assumed, based on other 1980s patterns, there would be a very generous amount of ease.  The size 12 fit ended up a bit snug, but not unwearably so.  I may very well try making this in size 14, and full length, because this shirt went together incredibly fast...and looks considerably better on a body than on a hanger.

Edit: About two months later, I picked out the stitching in the darts, and right where the dart folds were sewn into the side seam, and re-sewed them with the points ¾" lower.  Still not perfect, but less obviously so.

I tacked the front/neckline and arm opening facings to the shoulder and side seam allowances.  They stay somewhat in place.  I'm not sure if I should interface the arm facings--the pattern does not call for it, and I don't know if that would end up making the arm openings too stiff.

Then again, the pattern calls for the arm holes (and front/neckline) to have ruffled lace, which wouldn't exactly result in a supple drapey finish, so interfacing would probably be fine.

The shirt snugness I mentioned before...might be influenced by how much I overlapped the front to get the pattern to match.  Yeah, that's something to consider next time I make this pattern.

I serged the edges of all the facings and seam allowances, and pressed the hem up 5/8", then pressed that in half and stitched along the pressed edge from the inside.

I wanted to make a boxy shirt, and I definitely did.


I really won't know how well this shirt wears until it's much warmer outside; we'll see if I can hold off on making more before then or not.  (I certainly don't lack for other projects in the meantime.)






No comments:

Post a Comment