Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Jeggings...ish

 So, a while ago, I thrifted about a yard of a knit that looks like denim.  Of course I immediately planned to make leggings, necessarily slightly cropped due to the length of the yardage.  Since I ended up really liking the cropped length of the gray leggings I made that weren't the right kind of stretchy, I was perfectly OK with the idea of these being a bit short.

And because this leggings pattern has no side seams, I was able to throw 'em together fast after finishing the dress in the last post


Yeah, leggings always look terrible on the hanger like this.  What matters here is that I am recording A Thing I Did.


The contrast bands are more fabric salvaged from the t-shirt mentioned in the previous post, this time using the sleeve hems for extra super lazy cuff finishing


Maybe I shouldn't've sewed this entire project with that pink thread, but the fact is that the idea of using the pink contrast cuffs meant I could use the same pink thread as the past project which meant I could just cut this project out and jump right in.  Honestly, I think my original idea of using the more traditional golden jeans top stitching thread for these leggings had been one of the things keeping me from making them, because, yeah, sure, jeans have yellow thread, but I'd, in general, rather sew things with not-yellow thread.  Maybe that doesn't make sense, but the project is finished.


I applied the elastic by zigzagging it to the raw edge of the leggings, then folding it all inward and zigzagging again.  That's the hardest elastic application method to pick out and re-do as needed, but I like the look and it guarantees the elastic will never twist around like it can inside a casing.  I...uh...eventually I'll try these leggings on and see if I will need to pick out and re-do the elastic.

Also, there's a decent amount of this faux denimy knit left, so there will be many pairs of many sizes of doll jeggings sometime in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment