Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Bubblegum + Slate

 I wanted to use up the rest of the fabric left over from making the not-pajama pants for the kiddo

but

the more I looked at that fabric, the more flaws and discolorations I found

but

eventually I decided to just go with it and not worry about fussy cutting around imperfections and ended up with this

Yeah, that works.


It's another variation on the fake Burda 6401 idea, this time with a ribbing band for the neckline and knit fabric for the sleeve bands, both of which were salvaged from a color-of-the-week too-small T-shirt I'd thrifted to use the feature print as an applique on a shirt for the kiddo (project unblogged.)  I'd been wanting to experiment with finishing a woven dress with knits like this for a while, with a specific print and pattern in mind, and this is not it, but why not.  I may or may not have a future of finishing a lot more woven dress necklines with ribbing.


Oh yes, there is top stitching, and in a thread color surprisingly well matched to the knits used.  Oh yes, I picked out and re-sewed the neckline top stitching, because it wandered farthest from where it should be at dead center in the front, so it was kind of obvious.

The shoulder seams were the first to be top stitched, so that set the format for the rest


I made the decision not to worry about the accuracy of the top stitching at the waist seam

mostly because it's not so close to the face, so will be farther from general notice.  In theory.  Not worrying about it.

The cloth was 60" wide, and all I had to work with for the skirt was just enough for the right length by that 60", which is why it looks considerably less generous than my usual dresses.  It's also a simple tube, no shaping.  I used the large hem roller to make the basic turned hem, and the odd dense nature of this fabric did not play well with it, so I folded that hem up again and stitched one more time to make the hem


And it does have pockets!

I did have to piece one of the pockets, but that wasn't a huge issue


(yes I still don't have matching threads in my serger.  Doesn't bother me.)

And here is the back


It seems like ages since I've made any of the simple pull-over smock-ish dresses, so it was nice to get back to that.  I have a long list of other things I'd like to sew, so we'll see when I sew another simple dress.


No comments:

Post a Comment