Friday, July 4, 2014

Mixin' stuff up

So, combining these
and these
results in...



Maybe not as spectacular as you expected, I know.

After I made that shirt from Simplicity 3799 and found that there were some features of it I really liked--mainly the boring things like "chest fit" and "beautifully drafted armscye and sleeve cap (once the super voluminous pleats are eliminated) that go together with absolutely no hassles"--that I wanted to use again, but that enthusiasm didn't extend to the rest of the design features, so I thought, heyyy, maybe I could combine it with my ol' standby shirt pattern, New Look 6217 with the front modified into a single piece...and then make a placket band again, a feature that isn't on either of these patterns, but still a feature that I've suddenly decided that I like.  (Before that last shirt I made, it had probably been 10 years since I made a shirt with that feature, and I remember it being a terrible experience, while now it seems completely intuitive.  Huh.)  The fit seems good, in my "trying it on for a few minutes" experience with it.

'course, me being me, I didn't even follow the non-directions implied with the pattern pieces I cobbled together, and I made the sleeves bell shaped, gathered into bands, instead of the regular short sleeve length copied from the New Look pattern.

At least I learned from the last shirt's button centering failure and took the time to mark the center of the upper band and got the buttonholes mostly in the right places. (The upper-most button got repositioned after this photo and the shirt now buttons up properly, if I want.)

I've wanted to combine the rose and leopard prints for a while, so this seemed like a good opportunity.  Maybe?  The leopard print isn't too obvious, for a leopard print.  I would say this was an example of restraint, but...y'know...

No comments:

Post a Comment