Sunday, July 6, 2014

Lacking Enthusiasm

I decided that the next thing I would sew should use that wax cloth I recently thrifted, and maybe ignore the instructions on a "never made by me before" vintage pattern, too.

This vintage pattern, from 1950
Which I used as the bodice for a dress.

There are marks on the tissue indicating that the original owner had used this shirt pattern as a dress bodice, too.   (I've found alterations on several patterns that were hers*, and all of those alterations were the kinds of things that were needed to make the patterns fit me, too.)  I chose view 3, with the scoop neckline and big round collar.  I interfaced the collar with another layer of the fashion fabric, cut 90° off of the straight of the grain.  The result is a bit...lacking in body.  This fashion fabric is on the thin side.

And the collar meant I couldn't do my beloved all-in-one facing...which I stubbornly tried to do anyway, then cut it down to a neck-only facing after sewing it in place, so it's...um...wavy.  I cut armhole-shaped facings to face the armholes, instead of using bias tape like the directions...um...direct.    So.  Much pick stitching to keep the neck facing from flipping out, plain ol' topstitching on the arm holes.

It seems very ModCloth-y to me.  Does it seem ModCloth-y to you?

Oh, yeah, I added some black cluny lace to the hem.  It took me way longer than it should have to make the decision to do that, and I'm still second-guessing myself about it.  I'm actually kinda second-guessing myself about the whole project.  Still.

Anyway.

I decided to do contrast topstitching on the collar, mainly because I already had some thread of the appropriate color in the machine.  But...in the bobbin--all of it in the bobbin, none left on the spool.  I stitched with considerably more care than usual. (And, yeah, I did not get the curve smooth.  I know what I did wrong.) ((And I just realized I could've put that bobbin on the spool holder atop the machine, no problem.))

I had taken great care that the double darts of the 1950 pattern were no wider overall than the single dart of my standard simple dress bodice, but then I spaced out and made the wrong decision about the pattern alteration at the side seams.  A small amount on four seams adds up.  Let's just say I was glad I was wearing a corset when I tried this dress on. (Still seasoning the corset, so it's not as tight as it could be.)
(Corsets are also good in general for keeping side zippers from biting you.)

So, yeah, kinda meh on this overall.  I may try it again, remembering to make the larger-size choice at the bodice side seams so the corset won't be so necessary, and also make the skirt from cloth I have in greater quantities, so it can be significantly fuller.  And get the collar to have more body.

Maybe.

*I might write what I've found about her, someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment