Saturday, February 27, 2021

Wishing for Springtime

Hoping so much for springtime that the freak winter storm we had in mid February discouraged me from working on this extremely simple dress for a week after I started it, but finish it I did.

And then I didn't get the pictures for...several more days.

But  here it is!


It's another Simplicity 9153 bodice + Simplicity 8523/8061 neckline/facings.

Again, I pressed the sleeve edges before sewing the side seams, which meant I did not have to wrestle the closed hems around the sleeve board.  The pressing sets the folds enough that they can be unfolded to be sewn, then easily folded back in place with no more pressing before being stitched down.  You know how I am about pressing.

The skirt is a simple rectangle gathered to the waist, instead of the gathered A-line shape I usually make, both because I didn't have a lot of the plain pale green fabric

and also because the gingham piece at the bottom--the inspiration for this entire project--was originally the hem of a dress that BrittKett had altered, sending this bottom edge to me for possible doll clothes use.  Which I did think I would do!  But that nice lace on the bottom convinced me to use it for a me-size dress instead.

I did use the pockets from Simplicity 9153, too

In addition to the weather making me lose enthusiasm for working on a spring-like frock like this, I also quickly developed doubts about the fabric choices.  Not, of course, the print mixing part--"gingham and floral" are about as basic, no-fail print mixing as you can get--but I sure did doubt that much plain fabric.

and I'm honestly still not sure about it, but it's, y'know, finished, and spring will be here again, and it will be nice to wear something different.


No comments:

Post a Comment