Saturday, March 7, 2020

Utility Sewing...for Dolls

I store doll clothes in zip bags I made a few years ago--I can't find any posts about them here (I may have forgotten to tag 'em, because I know I made them less time ago than I started this blog--hey, I'm tired, that makes enough sense.)  They're super simple: front/back/zipper, no lining, no seam finishing.

They worked for years, but...things have been getting crowded, so I finally took the time to make more
 A random hand-full of mostly gifted fabrics, some of which have been seen here before (and one of which I'm wearing right now.)

I sewed four individually before I realized that batch sewing would probably be good, if only to reduce the need to switch between the straight stitch foot and zipper foot so often.

I mostly kept these simple, but I did serge the seam allowances


and the bag destined to hold doll socks and tights got a few pockets, so (in theory) I can keep basic styles sorted.

The only sewy oddness that happened was the way, when I top stitch along the fabric edge by the zipper,  I move the zipper pull by stopping with the needle down, raising the presser foot, then using a heavy needle to help maneuver the zipper pull out of the way, back beyond the presser foot

It takes both hands, and my camera is a DSLR which also really needs both hands, so this is the best recreation I could do.  And this particular vintage zipper is a bit...storage worn.

It's fine.

I'll figure out what goes where tomorrow.  Time for sleep now.


No comments:

Post a Comment