Sunday, January 19, 2020

A simple dress that really is

Yes, many times in the last year, since making my first iteration of a modified Simplicity 9153, have I intended a dress to be a quick, simple project, and it ended up being...more complicated.  This time, though: I did it!  No appliqués!  No mixing prints!  No "oh, wow, this is going to be too short, I need to add a contrast band at the bottom but I'm not just gonna add a simple ruffle, noo, I'm gonna cut out a curved shape to smoothly extend the skirt."  Not even any "oops, not enough cloth to cut this facing as one piece, I'll have to cut two halves with seam allowance."  Just one quick, simple dress



 I didn't even do the usual "borrow the facings--and subsequently alter the neckline to match--from another pattern," although I did convert the pattern's V-neck
to a rounded neck, with the accompanying front facing cut by using the improvised neckline and the original facing to determine width of the facing piece.

 I also again modified the skirt on view 1, not only by making it shorter, but also by drastically reducing the fullness--as given, the front and back of the skirt are each made of two pieces, with a center seam, while I just...cut it on the fold, whatever, it's fine.  It is an A-line shape (with pockets), while the tiers of view 2 are all big rectangles, so it is entirely conceivable that it would look fine without taking the time to cut the curves and angles.  But.  I like the idea of the gathering at the waist being not-so-full.
 
Raw rdges are all serged, and  stitched edges are all somewhere around 3/16" from the edge

both because that is the width of that side of the straight-stitch presser foot I use


and also because that is the width of the rolled hem attachment I use to whip out the sleeve and skirt hems


This fabric is a cotton sateen, which may or may not be as Japanese as it looks.  It was a gift from the family destash person, although in an earlier destash than last summer.  I'd been saving it for a while, and at one time had seriously planned to use it, along with this and some of the Ikea hand-written numbers print, in a bedspread.   I think this was the better decision.

Did I mention the pockets?

 (nope, I didn't press a bit of this during construction, although I did press the fabric before cutting.)

And here's the 100% No Frills back

I'm sure I'll be wearing layers over this when it's cool, and, when it's hot, I won't care at all if any aspect of this looks bland.  I'll be physically cool even if I'm not fashionably cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment