Monday, January 20, 2020

Duvet Retro

I am one of those people who likes a lot of blankets, while the other person in bed...not so much.  So, ages ago, I made a just-for-me comforter, two yards by 40"


I recently took a good look at it and realized that I had worn it threadbare in many places, as well as being reminded of the random holes and popped seams, and also the colors were very much not my thing these days.

But, it still worked perfectly well as a blanket, so I decided I'd make a new cover for it, and I decided to go ahead and make it a duvet cover.



Since I had used a regular width of cotton when I made it, I figured I could use a regular width of cotton for this, and I knew what I wanted to use: a wax print, brought in the family destash (thanks again), that had a design I liked but was overall too pale for me to (currently) want to use for clothes.  I pulled it out of the stash and the length was good, but I didn't like the way the print was cut off at the ends.  Floof liked it, though

(I will note that this is odd behavior for her--she usually takes care to avoid obvious blankets.)

Then I remembered that the family destash had also included several vintage sheets.  The one I wanted most to use was a king size fitted sheet, which worked out just about right, in terms of usable size.  Great!  I was about to start picking out buttons for the closure, but then I saw a blog mention using snap tape.  Ooh.  I have some snap tape.  Bright pink snap tape, randomly thrifted.

Perfect.

I eyeballed where I pinned the first length--since I would be sewing toward the center of the cover, I wanted to make sure it was where it should be, with no chance for the inner end, with the raw edge folded over, to wander away from center.  I figured I'd eyeball the placement of the other half, since I'd start sewing that from the center.

And it worked out well, in relation to the zipper foot and the marks on the throat plate


Then I folded the raw edge under and folded the tape over again and stitched the other edge

It's lumpy and imprecise, but no-one's going to look that close.

Then I sewed the long side and short end, leaving the other long side as a fold.  After that, ribbon loops were sewn to the corners and centers of the short ends of the old comforter, and to associated places inside the duvet cover


I didn't melt the ends--hoping the length will ultimately protect things from unraveling too far.  I tied all the bows in double knots.

Because various aspects of the idea amused me, I sewed part of the sheet's original tag in the seam near the opening, too


Finished!  On to the bed with it

Slight problem


Like I said, she doesn't like blankets--even her laying on the bedspread is new (she used to lay only on the fitted sheet, and was actively freaked out by blankets when we first brought her inside.  We have a strong suspicion she's only started laying on the bed like this because she's seen Chip doing it.)


I eventually annoyed her enough to move enough to get the blanket spread out

Oh.  Wrinkly.

Still--finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment