Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Fashion Doll Shawl Collar Coat Pattern (with optional lining)

I have been in a "too much doll stuff, gotta get rid of some of it" mode for the last few weeks (this seems to always strike when winter daylight is at its lowest...)  A result of this is that I have been digging out dolls I've wanted to do more things with, and...doing things.  Like sewing.

I started with making this coat


which uses a pattern I derived over 20 years ago by scanning the pattern layout pieces from a human-size pattern.  The version I used for this was a noticeably big for standard fashion dolls--after I made it, I remembered that this version was meant for bulkier female action figures, probably resized and printed somewhere around 2001.

There were older, smaller-sized pattern pieces in the envelope, so I used those...sorta...as the base for this coat

Because I was working with a limited amount of the minky for the front (thanks to PhantasmCreations for sharing that minky in a craft destash), I omitted the facings and any semblance of a collar and, while it turned out mostly better than I expected, the sleeves were undeniably too short.

Now...because I am that kind of person, I sill had a copy of the female action figure-size pattern scan on my hard drive, so I imported that into Inkscape and resized it to match the smaller version and added length to the sleeve pattern piece and worked that into a shareable pattern.

Here are the sample coats I made--unlined
made from common quilting-weight cotton calico

and

lined

made from fine wale corduroy and a printed lining fabric (that came from a previous PhantasmCreations destash.  The corduroy might have as well--I know it was a gift from someone, but I absolutely cannot remember who!  Thank you, whoever you are.)

The sleeves are large enough for long-sleeved shirts to easily fit inside, and of course they have pockets (although those pockets are optional, because I understand how and why the idea of sewing Very Small Pockets may be off-putting for some people.)

Here are the pattern pieces

You should be able to right click and save these at the correct size--the 1" and 1cm lines are there to double-check the printed size.  Remember to *not* fit these to the page when printing!

And now my excessively rambly instructions--these are written from my experience sewing this coat over the last few decades.  I don't know if I ever looked at the original pattern instructions.  There are definitely things that I didn't figure out for a long, long time.



Again, right click and save should get you  the full-size images.

The instructions for sewing the unlined version are separated from the instructions for sewing the lined version.  There are a lot of construction steps that are the same, but I felt like it was only getting muddled and confusing when I originally tried to present them simultaneously, so repetition it is.  Which means there's not really as much here as it might seem!  And the last page is "Tips, Tricks, & Suggestions," so it's entirely possible to sew without looking at that. (And if you've sewn things like this before, of course you can probably figure out what to do without my instructions at all, of course.)



And so I get one more fashion doll sewing pattern ready to share--there are plenty more waiting!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this great pattern. I have been hand sewing Barbie clothes for my youngest grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete