Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Floral Knit Again

Sooo, when I finally got around to making the sweatshirt in the last post, I had the sudden idea that I'd like to also have a little cardigan made from the same floral knit.  I had more than enough of the knit left, especially since I wanted the cardigan to be cropped and ¾ sleeve, and with lots of edge bands in a solid black.

I have two cardigans that are the same style that I thrifted on separate occasions, and they served as the template for the idea of this cardigan--I considered using one of those existing cardigans to make a new pattern, but I wanted this project to be fast.  All the cardigan patterns I had, though, were roomier, and I wanted this to be very slim.  So...maybe use a shirt pattern?  I'd want straight sleeves, though, and not something with the room associated with buttoned cuffs --and also, slim fit, so none of the patterns I have for "shirts that fit me now."

But!

I still had my much altered, good ol' TNT-twenty-five-pounds-ago New Look 6217
and I already knew exactly how much too-small it was, so I knew it was just what I wanted.



 Taadaa!  The back length is about 16½" and the sleeves are 18."

Since I didn't want this to be shaped like a bomber jacket, the ribbing on the cuffs and hem wasn't stretched much as it was sewn, and then I top stitched next to everywhere there was ribbing.

 And it is ribbing!  Or, at least, it's a lightweight knit with a mildly pronounced rib.  The main point is: it's not that waffle knit again. (And, yes, there is always cat hair.)

The front bands each had one edge ironed under 5/8", then the raw edge of the band aligned with the raw edge of the front, right side of the band to the wrong side of the front.  The seam was stitched, then everything got flipped over to the front, where everything was edge stitched. It's not so pretty on the back by the seam, but it does make a tidy edge all around on the front.  But, yes, I was lazy and omitted interfacing, so the buttons make things bulge.  I don't intend to button it when worn, though, so the buttons and buttonholes are mere formalities--easy work with the buttonholer and the presser foot that holds buttons in place while the machine zigzags 'em on.

 I didn't serge or in any way edge finish any of the seams, both because these knits are stable enough not to need it, and because I wanted this to be another fast'n'easy project.


And it was easy!  Maybe not so fast, overall, because I had other hobby things step up for a few days, but overall sewing time wasn't bad.
And I still have about a yard of this cloth left!  I have folded it up and put it away for now, because I was getting annoyed by the flat surfaces filling up with never-put-away project parts.  I'm going to try not to stash it away for three more years before using it!

No comments:

Post a Comment