Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Where's the Fire?

Certainly not here, because it took...ah...a month...before I finally fixed the uneven leg lengths on this pair of Obnoxious Shorts™


Unlike the last pair of Obnoxious Shorts™...which...wait...I didn't blog about?  Ah.

Unlike these
 which I made without consulting him and so was met with a lukewarm reception (I didn't have enough of either cloth for an entire pair of shorts, so I thought half-and-half would be a kind of tacky he'd like...turns out he thought the plain blue side was too plain, and he suggested the triangles; after applying them, he said he liked them enough to wear to, say, the grocery store, but not enough to wear to school.  'course, it's summer break, the grocery store is pretty much the only place he goes, so these shorts have been getting decent use.)

Anyway.

Unlike that pair of shorts, I actively asked him if he'd like shorts made from the fire hose print.  He enthusiastically said he would.

This fire hose print, by the way, is a thrifted wax print, with a hilarious fake Vlisco claim on the selvedge
Still, it's proof that I love my kid if I'll make something for him from my treasured stash of wax prints...

KwikSew 2544 again--that pattern goes up to size 14, so I'll probably be making stuff from it for a few more years (child permitting.)

 
The usual fake fly version


with side pockets and topstitching everywhere (although some of that side seam topstitching is only through one layer of cloth, which annoys me...but not enough to pick it out and re-stitch it narrower so that it catches the serged tiny KwikSew seam allowances.)

I paid some attention to pattern matching
 although that can get kinda weird with wax prints (and this back view picture was taken before I realized that, oops, the legs were drastically not the same length)

Topstitching, topstitching, and a decent rendering of the fact that the darkest color in the print is navy, although overlap with other colors renders some areas darker.

Here are the freshly-stitched, properly evened hems

I laid 'em out on a cutting board and used the see-through grid ruler + rotary cutter to cut every leg layer off together, then serged the raw edge just to give something with an even depth to help turn up the edges twice before stitching.  Much better now.

And then I went to JoAnn and bought some Pokémon cloth for future shorts, and then he had a dentist appointment so we were close to JoAnn together and I let him pick out more cloth for future Obnoxious Shorts™ (and probably some Obnoxious Shirts™, too...)






No comments:

Post a Comment