Sunday, January 29, 2017

Procrastinated green

Well, the making of this was not procrastinated, but the posting of it was...although...maybe "forgotten about for a while" is more accurate than "procrastinated"...

Anyway.

We've established that my go-to clothing items to make for the kiddo, in terms of "things he will wear," are jackets, yes?  So, hey, guess what I made for him...

And, yes, it's green.

I once again used vintage Simplicity 8449, and once again I made cuffs and waistband from ribbing...well, ah...actually...the whole jacket was made from ribbing, so what I mean is I didn't do elastic and drawstring casings as instructed.  I borrowed the waist and cuff pattern pieces from Burda 9627, instead of improvising them like I did for the Angry Birds jacket.  I did improvise side seam pockets, as with the Angry Birds jacket, but left the hood unlined.  So, relative to last time I used this pattern, this one went together a lot faster.

 About five and a half hours, from laying out the pattern to snipping the last threads.

...and...yeah, it might have taken longer if I'd bothered to iron anything...
 
 Because top stitching means you don't need to iron, right?

 And I had a mostly matching zipper in the absolutely correct size, how 'bout that?

 
 I turned the edges of the seam allowances inside the hood and edge-stitched them in place, and the top stitching that resulted on the outside doesn't look too bad.

 I didn't notice until taking these pictures that the top stitching did wander away from where it should be on this shoulder seam, so...oops.  And I couldn't go back and re-stitch, not even that small area, because I had run completely out of that perfect green thread.  Most of this was sewn with a brighter green in the bobbin--oh, sure, I'd loaded a bobbin with the perfect green, and very quickly realized I didn't have enough left on the spool to even match what was on the bobbin.  So...yeah...a lot of this was sewn with that bobbin of perfect green on the upper thread spindle, with some instances of swapping that bobbin to the bobbin case and the remaining thread on top and hoping there would be enough...which...barely, but, yes, there was.  The only place where the brighter green is visible is inside the hood where it attaches to the body.  If I'd been thinking about it, i would have put a super contrasty color there and made it a design feature.

 
I know the zipper would be less wavy if I used a stable facing or interfacing, and maybe some day I'll actually remember that.

 I also tried a little something this time to encourage the waist band seam allowance to fold toward the body--I sewed little squares, as seen above (and in the picture above that one, too), in strategic areas, like the side seams and the center back and where the top stitching around the pockets lined up with the top stitching on the waist band detail bit.  I wish I'd thought consciously about making those align, but it was complete chance that my free-form pocket interior pieces were just the right width.  I don't think I can even take credit for doing that unconsciously.

 And, speaking of the pockets, I used a contrasting, slightly-more-stable green knit for those.  I had plenty of the dark green left, but making pockets from ribbing just...didn't seem like a great idea.

Here's how a pocket looks on the inside of the jacket--yeah, nothing's finished inside.  I've gotten a lot less concerned with that kind of thing in the last few years.  Probably something to do with sewing a garment that will be outgrown before it wears out...

Husband says it looks like wood elf clothing.

When I presented it to the kiddo, he slapped his forehead and said "Another jacket???" but he happily wears it, alternating with the purple (he says it's blue) and red hoodie.  I haven't told him that the next thing I want to sew for him is another coat...

No comments:

Post a Comment