Sunday, July 24, 2016

Sing the praises of pants

Or, at least, of Kwik Sew 2544, revisited in denim with lime green top stitching and vague memories of what needed to be corrected from the last time I made this pattern.

I don't have a lot of experience with Kwik Sew patterns,  finding their ¼" seam allowances off-putting in the past (that, and their marked lack of deep discount sales at major sewing store chains...why, yes, this particular pattern was thrifted...)  I was in a mood where skinny little seam allowances were not unreasonable, and these went together with no problem.


I even mostly followed the directions.  Sort of.  I once again combined the faux fly view with the  cargo pocket view, and, again, it was because the kiddo prefers not to have to mess with zippers (as opposed to me preferring not to mess with zippers.)  I shortened the rise by about two inches, since he's still technically smaller than the smallest size given for this pattern, although I lengthened the legs to the second-smallest size, because he's leggy.  Aaannnd I completely ignored the pattern sheet's procedure for sewing the center seams and inseams, because I didn't see why it needed to be assembled like that.

I forgot to mark where the pockets were supposed to be, so I placed them relative to the side pockets and things turned out well. And the pleat is sewn completely from top to bottom, instead of being a pleated gusset, because I know he'll never put anything in these pockets and they'll stay relatively crisp this way.

 And of course I went overboard with top stitching.  It's not perfect (of course it's not), but it's fun.  This is a new brand of thread for me, this medium weight Saba thread ordered from WAWAK, and it's great weight for topstitching this lightweight denim (which was thrifted as yardgoods with the express intention of making into kid pants.  I'm getting better at buying with specific projects in mind, although I'm still working on getting to the 'actually making the projects' stage.)

He tried them on when the only step left was to sew on the buttons.  I had a pack of four press-together jeans buttons in my stash that I intended to use, but he wasn't thrilled by them, so I let him pick out the buttons himself.

Not bad for a day of sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment