Monday, March 21, 2016

Easy Breezy

After finishing the quick knit dress, I wanted to make another quick pull-over dress, but I don't have a lot of appropriate knits, so I wondered if I could combine bits of Simplicity 9406 with McCall's 5675, a pull-over shirt pattern for wovens.

I've made shirts from this before, using view C, and always with short sleeves (although not always the same style of short sleeve), so I knew it was fairly quick--the biggest hassle is the pressing-folding-pinning needed for the bias neckline finish and tie ends. (I'm going to  try to remember, next time, to press the binding before sewing it to the body.)  And the way the armscye and sleeve cap fits together is just fabulous, no need to hassle with little bits that don't quite want to smooth out.  Adding the length and flare to it by tracing the knit dress pattern was no problem and it's really comfortable but...

Maybe we can call this a vaguely wearable muslin?  (It's actually really cute with a belt, but belts don't stay put over my mom belly.  So.)


When the weather is warmer, I might at least wear this around the house, because...I mean...it certainly looks like a housedress...

No comments:

Post a Comment