Sunday, July 10, 2022

Re-use Revisit, Part 1: The Clothening

I went with the same friend to the creative re-use thrift store again today.

I was...not as restrained as I was the first time we went.

I'll post the patterns separately--this post is entirely the fabric haul (minus the pack of monk's cloth the friend picked out for me, because I want to try punch embroidery.  Said friend also gave me a punch needle.)

 

Fabric in this store is primarily divided between $6/lb "quilting cottons" (in quotes because I picked out some shirting weight fabrics from those bins) and $3/lb "everything else" fabrics.

There's also a cart outside the front door with free fabric, which is mostly small pieces of cotton and smaller upholstery samples, and that's where I got these

The candle print is about 7" of 45" wide cotton, and it has not metallic ink but full-on glitter.  The upholstery sample is 13" x 17" and 100% silk, which I didn't see when I picked it out (the tag with ordering info and content is on the back still.)  I picked it just because it's pretty.

Next is the most cursed fabric I bought, and possibly some of the most cursed fabric anyone could ever buy

and I chose it entirely because it's so cursed. It's half of a half yard and all cotton.

To make amends for the clown cloth, I also picked this 9" x 21" cotton guinea fowl print

which makes me grin in a much more sincere way than the clowns.

 

1¼ yards of this 44" cotton.  Each square is about 1¼" x 1"


1 1/3 yard, 44" wide, definitely more shirt weight than quilting cotton

Cotton candy pink cotton, 1¼ yard 44". Pale enough the camera didn't meter properly so I tried to adjust it later.  Results are not optimal.


Pale pink and dark brown cotton gingham, just under 1 yard, and, again, so lightweight I wouldn't trust it to last long in a quilt that got much actual use.  Coordinates well with the previous fabric.


This is the last of the $6/pound "quilting cottons" and is also more of a shirting weight cotton. At 1 yard, my shirt options may be limited, but you know I'm not afraid to mix patterns, and I also don't necessarily consider yarn dyed plaids to be patterns.  They're neutral.  Really.

And I picked out several yarn dyed plaids in the $3/lb fabrics, too

This one definitely contains wool (hello, itchy wrists.)  1 2/3 yards of 60", with at least one spot of damage that should be easy to work around.


Still thinkin' 'bout early '90s vests, although most of this is ½ yard, so too short for the vest pattern I used in the last project. There is a longer area on one end of its 60" width, but I'm not sure if the extended end is wide enough for the full vest front.  I'll figure it out eventually.


Chambray! Pink chambray! 2 yards of it! 60" wide! Possibilities!


1 1/3 yard 60" wide wool crepe, in that royal blue kind of color that shifts between purple and blue depending on the light source.  It's vivid and lovely.


Chintz! 56" wide!! 3½ yards!!! It was when I picked this out that I decided I would not let myself talk myself out of anything--normally, I will spend as much time talking myself out of things as I spend picking them out to begin with, but I decided I would not hold back today.  May or may not relate to my birthday being this coming week.

Also, I do like glazed cotton chintzes like this--the print is enormous, too: 20" from the outer edge of one hydrangea to the outer edge of the hydrangea on the other side--but I know I was influenced by the fabric choices of another sewing friend.  You know who you are.  Edit: turns out it was not glazed, it was just Scotchgard™ed, and that went away after being pre-washed (the selvedge urges dry cleaning.  I was genuinely hoping it would wash off.)


Here's another yarn dyed fabric that involves wool.  Whoever owned this before did use it for something, because the ends have cuts, but there are still about 3 yards of it, although it's only 44" wide.


Black cotton corduroy that had not been used by the previous owner, because the original sale tag is still on it, and it is accurate: 1 5/8 yards of 56" wide. I acknowledge that it will pick up every piece of lint and cat hair in a 5 mile radius.


This one's a tweedier woolen, 1 1/8 yards of 54" wide. I know the tag says 1 1/6 yards, but who measures yardage in sixths?   It has a vaguely purple tone to it; in my experience, purple is a surprisingly rare color of fabric to find in thrift stores.  I like purple.


Black--or nearly so--lining fabric, nicely heavy (for lining fabric.) 48" wide, and 5½ yards of it.


Another rose-themed chintz-ish fabric, although this one is not glazed and the print size is more reasonable.  44" wide, 3 yards long.  The selvedge, unusually, includes a copyright date: 1990.


This yarn dyed plaid is a sort of lightweight homespun?  It's cotton with metallic stripes, 2 yards of 54" wide. I can accept those taupe stripes in light of everything else going on with this fabric.

If I added correctly, there are over 31 yards of fabric here, for which I spent about $38.  I didn't need any of it, but I got a good deal (in both meanings of the phrase.)

And now I need to edit the pattern photos.

and pre-wash a lot of cottons.





No comments:

Post a Comment