Sunday, August 13, 2017

sserD neewollaH ysaE

I recently received a very generous box of doll and sewing items (thanks again, Susan!), which included some Halloween print cloth--hot pink Halloween print!  With happy little bats!  And neon green letter outlines!  Outlining the word Halloween!  The word Halloween that was printed backwards!

Wait what.

Yep yep, the word Halloween was printed backwards on the entirety of the cloth, while everything on the selvedge was not printed backwards.  Huh...OK...so...um...

My first thought was to use it to make a skirt (there was a meter of it, having come from metric-wielding Canada) and take mirror selfies so the print would be seen in the right direction, but that would still leave it backwards in real life.  Hmm.

Then I remembered the shirt(s) Peter of Male Pattern Boldness made with the print on the inside, and I decided to follow that example.  Yes, the colors are muted, but, given how bright the print was, it's still not exactly pastel...




The pattern is new-to-me as well, something I'd found in Goodwill the week before
 It's from 1991, can ya tell?  I went with view B, but with shorter sleeves--shorter than the pattern asked for ob view D.  I mean, it's still a boxy early 1990s silhouette, but it's nice'n'loose, good for stinkin' hot summer days.  Yeah, even if it says Halloween. (It'll be worn with a cardigan when it really is close to Halloween.  I planned ahead, yup.)

There are a few buttons on the top
which were a super breeze to do with the buttonholer and "hold the button in place so it can be zigzagged" presser foot.  And, since I topstitch everything anyway, well, apparently, when the directions actually call for topstitching, I do it twice.

Even on the sleeves. (Not that you can tell, since I hadn't realize that my camera had focused on the door.)

And here is where I got lazy and decided that the sleeve caps had set into the armscyes so nicely that they didn't need to be ironed.

Hey, look, pockets!  There wasn't enough of either the neewollaH print nor the black to make the pocket bags, so I used a bit of some of the other cloth Susan had sent, a very 1980s paint splatter print.  (I had more than a few items with similar prints when I was a kid.)  My print mixing tendencies say that these go together very well and almost wish the project could have mixed them more prominently.

Here's a view of the skirt alone

I'm more and more convinced that this is how the cloth was meant to be used, since there's not a lot of detail to it overall, and the colors are still bold when viewed this way.  And, y'know, the whole backwards letters thing.


You might notice the black thread visible at the hemline in the picture above.  That was just the bobbin, though--I switched to a different thread of the same weight for the top
See?  Harmony.






No comments:

Post a Comment