Sunday, December 6, 2015

Patterns are only Guidelines

The kiddo's (relatively) heavy winter coat is a few years old--it doesn't tend to get cold enough around here to use it a lot, so it's in good shape, and fits him fine in the torso, but his arms...they have grown long.  So, in my current fit of "I really should start using all this fabulous cloth I've accumulated," I decided I would make a heavy jacket for him to wear this winter.

I started with ideas of using the various wool/wool blends I have in relatively small yardages, then also dug out a length of bright green medium weight knit, and threw in the red and black flannel that had been used to underline the eye jacket.  I couldn't decide, so I let him.  He...couldn't really decide, either, but as he talked about what he liked about each fabric, I remembered something that I thought he'd like--as soon as I said "purple and green" he started bouncing around (more than usual) and agreed to that before he even saw it.

It's a dark cool purple and pea green cotton plaid flannel, thrifted, and about 1¼ yard of 60".  With that as the inspiration, I poked around online to see what kinda of things kids these days are wearing in the realm of 'flannel winter jacket,' and it looked like I could probably do view A of Burda 9672 again with no problem

...but...we know I wouldn't really do that, don't we...

Oh, sure, I started with view A, then decided to add the hood from view B, as well as view B's un-ribbing-ed sleeves...and eliminate the ribbing from the waist, too.  And put the pockets in the side seams.  And line it, which would require improvising a facing piece.  And close it with buttons, which would require extending the center front pieces and interfacing that improvised facing piece.  But I did start with this pattern

It's underlined with a medium weight black knit that probably contains at least a little cotton, and lined with a lightweight knit that probably contains even less cotton.  It's brighter than the green in the flannel, but, not a bad match considering these were definitely not bought as intentional coordinates (or from the same store...or in the same state...or in the same year decade century.)

My thread assortment wasn't as accommodating, so I went with a pale khaki that ended up looking white against the dark purple (which could be described as royal blue in some lights, and likewise the pea green shifts to khaki...just...not the same khaki as the thread...)  But it's pretty well established that I will always choose to top stitch, so we'll say it's a design element.

I didn't look through my buttons until it was time to make the button holes, and I expected I would end up with mottled brown buttons (which are my default buttons), but, hey, whadddaya know, the fact that my button stash was established in the late 1990s means I had some perfectly pea green (and slightly lustrous) buttons in the large size I'd envisioned.  The buttonholer attachment and button-holding presser foot made finishing the jacket go very quickly, and the kiddo danced around when he tried it on, so, as slapdash as it is, it's still a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment