Sunday, June 15, 2014

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

Or, the way I do all-in-one facings on sleeveless bodices without center seams, because I dislike hand sewing.  (Although I don't dislike it as much as I used to...maybe someday I'll start doing this the way the patterns tell  me to.  Maybe.)

First, I assemble the bodice and facings, sewing all seams, then completely sew the facing to the bodice at the neckline, then flip and press it to the inside so the raw edges of the bodice arm hole and the facing arm hole line up, wrong sides together.


Then I flip the facing up, so the raw edges of the bodice arm hole and the facing arm hole are against each other...

Then flip it all the way over, so they're right-sides-together.

I pin through all layers at the side seams, lining them up.

Then start working my way up from the side seams, aligning and pinning along one side of the opening...
 

...until I reach the shoulder seams, which I align and pin as well.

Then I sew what's been pinned, and, yes, it gets tricky at the shoulder seam.

I go from shoulder seam all the way to the side seam.

Then I notch the seam allowance...

And turn that right-side out.

Then I repeat for the other half.
 (I forgot to take pictures of the 'million pins' part.)


Flip that bit back over, repeat for the other arm opening, press everything, and taadaa,  completely machine sewn all-in-one faced armholes on a bodice without a center opening.


Yes, yes it probably is a lot less trouble to just buckle down and hand sew.  I've gotten used to doing this, though.

What I haven't gotten used to...is this:




Somebody likes to make himself comfortable by the foot control.

No comments:

Post a Comment