Sunday, May 26, 2024

Once Again: Doll Clothes

It started simple, with putting fabric scraps into a better storage situation, and happening to notice a few pieces of a print I thought I had completely used up long ago, and it looked like there was just enough to make a dress bodice

 However, while looking for a print to coordinate with it, my brain veered off into thinking about using textured fabric.  Which I didn't do for this dress (although the alien print is a very lightweight twill), but I tried, to varying degrees, on a few other things

This one wasn't very bold, mixing a plain jersey (with some embroidered elements) with rib knit and a woven skirt.  I used a pattern for a small doll, but they jersey stretched so much that it ended up fitting a Curvy Barbie


 I got a little more bold with texture in the next dress, choosing to incorporate faux fur on the collar.  I should have scooped the neckline more to compensate for the fur bulk, but no-one would know that the collar doesn't fasten in back if I never told them.


 and then I added some puffy heart stickers.

I had moved something, in the drawer that holds more textured small yardage fabric, and discovered a very small scrap of dark pink sequin fabric (originally a thrifted drawstring bag.)  I again thought it looked like enough to eke out a bodice, this time for a smaller-than-Barbie doll.  I decided to go all out with Texture™ and use some aggressively textured, yet lightweight, fabric a doll friend had sent a while ago.  

You know how I say "If you sew it together, it goes together" in regard to mixing prints?  Well, I'm starting to think that may apply to textures, too, because I like this dress far more than I thought I would.

And, finally, I realized that I have not sewn much for Ken-size lately, so I wanted to get the guys in on the texture experiments.  I used some of the double knit fabric left over from last year's Vogue cloak, which makes a nice nubby knit at doll scale, and being 100% synthetic just makes it seem more like commercial doll clothes. 


I mostly used a pattern I shared here a few years ago for this sweater--the changes were raising the neckline, lengthening the body and sleeves, and adding all the ribbing bands.  I didn't have to make it any larger, because Curvy and Ken share a lot of the same dimensions.  (I did initially make the sleeves too long, but I convinced myself that was worth fixing.)

I do plan to make something me-size next.  Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment