Monday, May 20, 2024

But First, A Tablecloth

I was ready to start making new curtains for the door in the dining area, and the two windows in the kitchen, but, first, I wanted to make a new tablecloth.

It was right around a year ago that I covered the table with some brightly printed Mexican oilcloth.  I do love how easy it is to clean, but I was mildly annoyed by how easy it also was to rip/cut, and multiple people were annoyed by how the print was so busy that every small item laid on it just...disappeared.

I did like how nice and neat it was to have the tablecloth wrapped around the edges and stapled in place.  I wanted to keep the fabric tablecloth able to be removed and washed (and I did pre-launder the fabric this time unlike the last time I sewed a tablecloth, which ended up being so off grain and shrinky that it was not really usable after being washed once), so no stapling this time.  I figured running elastic all around the edges would provide the same effect.

It did not.

So, after accepting that the elastic was just making areas bulge strangely, I put the least amount of thought into it as possible and just removed the elastic and hemmed all the edges, letting it have a dinky little 3" drop.

The dinky little 3" drop doesn't look as silly as I thought it would.

After finishing the tablecloth, it was time to cut up the rest of the plaid fabric and start figuring out what to do for the curtains


I had...vague plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment