Thursday, May 9, 2024

It is. So boring.

Free motion quilting, that is.  I suspected I would feel that way about it, and, yep!  I worked on quilting this on and off for what seemed like forever, but was actually only 3½ hours of elapsed time.  I don't know how much more on than off it was, either--there were lots of avoidance interludes.  And snacks.

I pieced the top in 2016, although I had initially used some sections of fabric on the sides to make it bigger.  Those sections were...not fabric I liked much, between the color being dull and the texture being very polyester blend.  I recently realized that I could remove those sides and put the patchwork corner pieces together to make another row on one end.  I was prepared to take coordinating fabrics from the stash if needed to make them wide enough, but they ended up just right, bringing the dimensions to roughly 54" x 37"


 Whatever I had initially thought I would use for the backing, it wasn't around any more.  I had a thrifted pink and white stripe cotton in the stash that I had kept because I liked the colors, but I never had any idea what I'd make with it, so I was happy to use it for this, and even happier to have enough of it left to use for the binding.

I am very much not good at this yet, with "this" including the free motion quilting and applying the binding.  The binding application is helped, somewhat, by being able to approach it the same way I apply button bands, by sewing to the back and then flipping around to the front and edge stitching.  It is, however, very much hindered by the bulk of the fabric inside the binding, and folding those corners doesn't help, either.

The loopy texture is fun on the back.  As usual, don't look too close...no, farther away than that...

I didn't want to use my usual Saba tex 40 thread, because it's so thick that the bobbin holds noticeably less yardage than a thinner thread, and I figured that the fewer times I had to deal with reloading the bobbin, the better.  I had a spool of light pink Coats & Clark cotton machine quilting thread, and there was almost enough to do all of the quilting. Almost.  I switched to a similar color of the Saba, for those last few inches when the C&C was gone, and it's not obvious.


The two larger patchwork blankets I want to quilt won't be quilted all-over like this--just in certain areas--and I have no idea if that will be more or less tedious.  I am, however, looking forward to actually having them be quilted, however stimulating the process may or may not be.

No comments:

Post a Comment