Saturday, September 28, 2019

Screaming Loud Jacket

So.  The shorts I posted yesterday.  The way I ended the write up by lamenting about the extremely obvious print repeat on each side of the center back seam?

Yeah.


However, since the same print elements even ended up on the sleeves, it tips over from unfortunate to funny...right?





 Otherwise, everything went fairly smoothly.  The jacket is mostly New Look 6120 in size 3/4, with the collar replaced by the hood from New Look 6766, which was what I used for the recent jacket mad entirely from that green knit.

And of course there's a lot of top stitching...which I wasn't always careful with because I honestly don't know if he'll ever wear this
 As usual, I hope the sloppiness won;t be obvious when it's being worn, especially since the kid is always in motion.
 I know stitching the seam allowances on sleeve caps toward the bodice never goes well unless I do that stitching/trimming/ironing thing, but I tend to forget about that until too late.  I usually shrug and don't top stitch, but I really wanted top stitching here, so we end up with this.

The pocket top stitching went well, though

I probably should have cut the cuffs a size up, because this green knit isn't as stretchy as it could be , but, again--didn't think of that until I was ready to attach the cuffs.  It worked out with a minimum of picking and restitching.

 I did deviate from the pattern by omitting the lining, too
 I sewed the first line of stitching for the zipper tapes, then trimmed the 5/8" that had been pressed (yes I did use the iron for this...well...some of it) on the opening edges back so  that the raw edges would be trapped under the zipper tape by the next line of stitching.
 I probably should have increased the upper tension, huh.

Pockets went together with no hassle.

And we're done:
I can see pattern repeats between the sleeves and back, now, too, but they're not as...obvious. And the element that's so blatant on the front is back here, too.  Maybe the repeat on this wasn't as large as I thought it was...  And I know that's also a risk taken with trying to get more pieces out of less yardage.

I don't think the kiddo noticed, though, so it's fine.


I have no idea if he plans to wear these together

Probably not, since he aggressively avoids having his Obnoxious Shorts™ match is T-shirts too well...


No comments:

Post a Comment