Saturday, September 21, 2019

Quick Project Today: Pillowcase

In the fabric destash brought by the friend were two pieces of patchwork madras yardage.  A-ha, I thought, these will make fantastic Obnoxious Shorts™ for the kiddo.  I showed him the pieces and asked if he'd like that--to my surprise, he picked up the brighter piece, buried his face in it, and said he'd like that one as a pillow.  I countered with the offer of making a pillowcase and he agreed.  I threw that together today.


(I sense a theme here.  A very square theme.  Hey, hmm, maybe it's time to put the creeper blanket back on his bed--he has gotten back into Minecraft lately...)

 The piece was just big enough to make a standard pillowcase, too, with a generous 5½" hem on the open edge.

Even though it was probably something that I would realize was futile if I think about it too much, I did serge the seam I sewed along the bottom and side, as well as the edge of the hemmed part.

Iron things?  Oh, no, of course I didn't do that.

But I did top stitch!

This is along the bottom seam, and I decided to do it because the patchwork itself had so much top stitching, so that seam looked bare without it, since the patches are somewhat close to square down there.  I didn't bother with the side, since the patches visible there are very narrow.

I was also amused by how well this coordinates with the rag rug that was also in the friend's relative's craft destash, and is now on the floor of the kiddo's room

Jewel tones, my friend.  Jewel tones.

No comments:

Post a Comment