Sunday, September 15, 2019

Quick Projects Yesterday: Thrift Shirt + Thrift Skirt = This Dress

So I had, at different times, thrifted these
  And in the past, I did wear them, although not necessarily together.  I realized that I probably would not wear the shirt, because it would require something with a waistband to go with it, or me making a jumper, and in a solid color, which...maybe someday...  So I looked at all the thrifted things with waistbands that I also am not currently inclined to wear and decided the fabric weight and pleats-instead-of-gathers of this would go well with the cut and fabric of the jack'o'lantern shirt.

(and then I was prepping them and noticed the name on the skirt tag...geist...ghost...so...extra appropriate, yeah?  yeah?)

Anyway.

I cut the shirt off  at about waist level, making the cut gently curved but still using the stripes as a general guide, and cut the waistband off of the skirt and sewed them together, pinning the pleats in place and stretching the skirt slightly to fit the shirt edge.  The skirt fabric is a crinkly weave with a lot of stretch (for a 100% cotton woven.)

I may only wear this one or twice a year, between the weather staying hotter longer and my general dislike of wearing orange, but how could I resist those dobby weave jack'o'lanterns?

No comments:

Post a Comment