Sunday, November 22, 2020

Same/Hat

 Timber Lane Press Kaleidoscope Cap pattern again + nice plaid wool from the floppy vest = another newsboy cap, this time with a smattering of construction pictures, since this was not the subject of an attempted video documentation


 The points turned out fantastic.  My pattern matching...not so much.  Absolutely would have been better if I had cut the wedges separately, but It's Me, so I cut on the fold

 I still decided not to use a button to hide it.  If any tall people stand behind me close enough to see how mis-aligned the plaid is...well, I'm going to be doing my best to keep moving six feet away.

When I notched the bill seam allowance on this hat, I made a lot more notches than on the previous hat, and it ironed lovely smooth.

Yes, the pattern instruction include directions for making this pressing form for the bill.  Much appreciated.

Also, the pattern had included a sample of Timtex to cut to put inside the bill (yep, nearly 30 year old, never used, weirdly packaged indie pattern, and it still had the Timtex sample.)   Since I used the bulk of that for the black hat, I improvised a rough equivalent for this hat by cutting the bill insert shape six times from heavy embroidery stabilizer.  I basted them all together on the inside curve before inserting them into the bill, which is also done with the pressing form in place.

The rest went just the same as the previous hat, and here we are


I used the same thrifted weirdly textured...ny...lon...? to line this hat as I did to line the vest made from the same B&W plaid wool

so I guess they coordinate, if I ever fix the vest to be wearable

Slightly artsy picture of the hat in action


It sits completely differently on my head than the black wool crepe hat, and I suspect that's because the first hat was cut entirely on the grain, while this one was cut entirely on the cross grain.  Maybe.

I will very probably make this hat again, so we'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment