Monday, November 30, 2020

Quick Vest Revisited

 So.  That vest I posted about a week ago.  That floppy floppy vest.

I used the finished opening edge to cut the appropriate shapes from some heavy stabilizer (which has been used in...several of my recent projects, huh)

Then I picked open the lining side seams

maneuvered the stabilizer to the floppy appropriate areas

pinned everything in place

sewed on line of trim

sewed on another line of trim

sewed on another line of trim

re-sewed the lining side seams (including finishing with hand stitched matching thread instead of the "bleh I just want this project done" folded edge machine stitching in black thread I had done before)

and then I took pictures

The jacquard ribbon and metallic trim were acquired in large quantities years ago, when the local Walmart removed its fabric/sewing section and marked everything down to do so.  Years after that, they restored the fabric/sewing section, and, now, years later still, I finally used some of the trims.

I carefully folded the jacquard ribbon and lace into fake miters when the contour took them around one of the vest's angles.  The metallic trim I just flipped over so it twisted into a rough approximation of the needed geometry.

Since I sewed through all layers after the vest itself was complete (minus the interfacing...), the wide zigzag stitch used for the metallic trim is clearly visible on the lining (as are the areas where I accidentally stitched off of the jacquard trim and had to go back and do better.)

When I first made this vest, I was just as dismayed by the fact that the back was made of the shell fabric, instead of lining fabric, as I was dismayed that it had no interfacing.  I wore a lot of vests in my early 1990s teenage years, and I developed strong opinions on how I preferred their construction.  "Back same as front" was not acceptable to me in The Old Days.  But, as with the interfacing, I decided not to second guess the pattern, especially since making the back the same would use most of what I had of this fabric, and that's always good.

AND THEN

Once I added the trim, I realized that it would have been really really weird to decorate the plain lining side, if it had been made with one, so I feel better about making it this way...which is also as the pattern directed.  I mean...I guess it is.  I haven't, actually, ever read the directions for this pattern.

I am still considering adding a toggle or frog  or even large hook and eye closure where the pattern calls for a tie on the front.  Someday.  Maybe.

Edit: It is April 30, 2022, and I have just now added a large hook and eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment