Sunday, November 10, 2019

Multiplaid

Many of the pieces of fabric that the person brought from the relative's destash over the summer (thanks again!) are very loud and very out of date, and both of those aspects in a way that appeals to my sarcastichild.

So, today I used KwikSew 1650
I don't think I mentioned in the last post that the moto jacket pattern was the first KwikSew pattern I'd used that was printed this century?  It was weird, using a KwikSew pattern that was printed on something lighter than copy paper and had 5/8" seam allowances.  KS 1650 here is from 1987 (which the pattern envelope renders in Roman numerals) and is on relatively stiff paper with tiny seam allowances, which I still feel is what a Kwik Sew pattern should be.

I made view A, omitting the shoulder details (unlike last time) and here we are




As happened with the pair of striped pants I made for him recently (which...the elastic worked its way out of the stitching on one side, so I need to open 'em up and fix that...someday...when there's purple thread in my machine again), there was enough square yardage, but not enough linear yardage, which is why there's an asymmetrical stripe detail on one sleeve.

There was enough cloth that I could have had enough length with a simple seam, and that seam probably would have disappeared into the print, especially if I placed the purple stripes just right.

But I didn't wanna do that.

First I thought I'd make the contrast stripe from solid black knit, but, as soon as I realized the colors in the stripe knit mostly matched the colors in the plaid, I was set.

I used the stripe width to determine seam allowances and pieced the left sleeve together

Once again, I probably could have finished faster if I had't sewn so many of the seams three times (more than that on the shoulders, which I initially stitched to the front instead of to the back, oops)


But I think I did a nice job on all that extra stitching.

 I prefer to place the neckband ribbing seam just behind the left shoulder seam, but I went ahead and followed the notches on this pattern (it's an old KwikSew: there are so few notches that those that are there start to seem important) and the neckband seam ended up at the center back, showing up as a small lump here.  Between the kiddo's long hair and perpetual hoodie--along with the general inattentiveness of people--it should go unnoticed.

I did not do top stitching at the cuffs, waistband, or side/underarm seams, so the construction speed at the end was much faster than at the beginning, which is always nice.

And I completely forgot about sewing the side seams at a larger depth in the last version--add that to making this in size 14, and it's...roomy...


When I showed him the finished garment, he did that Brent Rambo cool smile meme thing that indicates his sincere approval of how loud it is.






No comments:

Post a Comment