Monday, November 11, 2019

Apple Thanks

Made a zip pouch as thanks for something the kiddo's teacher did.  The apple/ABC/123/gingham stripe print is something from a thrift store grab bag, and I held onto it because I think it could make a cute EGL dress for dolls.  But...considering there's a good chance I'll never actually make such a thing, I figured it wouldn't be a problem to go ahead and use a bit for the teacher thanks thing.


When I was picking out the prints, I grew keenly aware that I have very few "modern" prints in my calico/doll clothes stash, which I suppose is a natural result of thrifting so much cloth.  (The ABC/123 print had a 1995 copyright on the selvedge.)

 Normally I don't think twice about lacking trendy prints, but I did have a bit of "will this just look incredibly out-of-date?" with this project, since it would be a gift for someone I barely know (and the school has a website with a "here are all the teachers/staff and lists of their favorite things" section...which this teacher is missing from, since she was added last minute, so I couldn't even look up her favorite color.  I have a vague memory of her sending home a sheet listing those things at the beginning of the year, but...uuuhhh...where is it...)  Anyway.  I chose these coordinating prints hoping they would flip the whole thing from "out of date" to "vintage retro."


 I know my idea of How A Zip Pouch Should Look has been influenced by following s.o.t.a.k. handmade and her love of low volume neutral designer/handmade prints + Quilt As You Go, none of which are me things, but they are fun to watch other people be happy with (I have that attitude toward some popular kinds of dolls, too)--I just have to remember that I know I wouldn't be perpetually happy with those things, if I did join in on the fun of them. (I have to perpetually remind myself that customizing Furbies is something that does indeed look like fun, but, once I was finished with the custom, I would be finished with the Furbie, so it's in my best interest to just...not.  I have plenty of other things to use my time and resources on!)


The apple appliqué is from a 1990s craft panel print--something that my "mostly thrift" fabric acquisition habits hadn't realized that wasn't a thing anymore, until, when I went through a period of making doll clothes from them (including the instructions), I found I had to explain what a craft panel print even was.

Ah, well--I hope this project conveys my thanks!

1 comment: