Sunday, November 17, 2019

More layering pieces: Black & Spiderweb Edition

I used the same old hacked pattern that made the leggings about a month ago, but, since the knit this time is four-way stretch, the fit is very different.

They look just as unimpressive in the hanger, though
 I did deviate a bit and used bands to finish the hems, and that turned out nicely
They are excessively long, unlike the gray pair, which are calf-length.  Both are good.

Like the gray pair, these were made from a mill end precut from Walmart.  This precut was only 2 yards, so there definitely wasn't as much to play around with after cutting out the leggings.  I was determined to eke out a long-sleeved shirt to use for layering, and it didn't take too much finagling to do that, ending up with this


 Of course this has little resemblance to the pattern envelope, McCall's 5058 from 1990
(View A would have been so. me. back then--the upper half, at least.  My leggings preferences leaned more toward view D's florals, and I would have been wearing all the views' bracelets at once.)

I started with View B, pivoting the side at the underarm corner--to angle out as far as possible before I ran out of fabric--and cutting the lower edge straight, to give a bit of a handkerchief hem when finished.  I saw the McCall's kids pattern 7859 recently and wanted to emulate that as much as I could in a "larger sizes take up more width for the upper area which will create al ess dramatic handkerchief hem" way, considering how little cloth I had to work with.

 The hem is very straight, which did make attaching the lace easy, since there were no curves to ease and ruffle around.
  I did miter the outward corners, gracelessly (the other side is worse.)

And it does have a bit of a handkerchief curve, at least when it's on the hanger

Being straight made the top sitching extra easy, too, although I did start to wander near the end.  No photos of that--I figure it'll never be noticed, since it's all black on black anyway (these pictures are overexposed to show detail...and cat hair.)


I decided on single lines of top stitching in this project, and only at the seam above and the neckline


 Once again, I used a band to finish the neck opening.  Due to the restricted amount of fabric, it's cut on the cross grain, but that's fine since it's four-way stretch.

I resisted temptation to top stitch shoulders and sleeve seams
 The armscyes are straight lines, and the sleeve caps are very shallow curves, so the sleeves were incredibly easy to attach, too.  The sleeve hems were folded twice (I eyeballed everything) and stitched at ½"
 
 I briefly considered finishing the sleeves with bands, but I decided I could live with making a proper hem for once (twice.)  Besides, these sleeves will probably already be extra long since I am most certainly not adding the ½" shoulder pads the pattern calls for.


Oh, I forgot to photograph it, but I placed the seam on the neck band just slightly behind the left shoulder seam, like I've seen on RTW T-shirts, so now I have the comfort of knowing it's not dead center in back.  For whatever that's worth.

I think this should work well over the upcycled purple skirt under dress project I did last weekend, somewhere in the wilds between dark mori kei and Lagenlook styles...








No comments:

Post a Comment