Wednesday, September 2, 2026

A Halloween Patchwork Tiered Skirt

 I made another Halloween Patchwork Project!  And it's another tiered patchwork skirt! 

 

 There's really not much more to say about it!

...which won't keep me from saying more, of course... 

 I followed the basic idea of the first patchwork tiered skirt I made, but I increased the number of patches per row a little more drastically--well, I increased by three more per row per side, instead of two more.  This meant the hem ended up, in theory, 192", but I made my seam allowances a bit large, so it's probably closer to 168".  That's still a very full and swirly hem.

...a full and swirly hem that I couldn't use the hem roller on, due to the patchwork seams, so I serged the edge and then used that as a reference for how far to fold it before stitching.

 

I used yellow thread because I had a bobbin of it already.  It coordinates with some of the fabrics, and is a start contrast with others.  Given the color range here, I don't think anything would have been perfect for everything.  (And I am again sad that Wawak's Saba C selection doesn't seem to include a clear olive green.)

Every visible seam is serged, and, look: pockets! 

 

I made the waistband wide enough for two pieces of elastic, and went with half inch, just because I have so much more of it than I have of three-quarter inch.  I sewed that with dark purple link thread, which is an excellent match to that fabric.

It's attached with my usual "sew it to the back, then flip the other, already-pressed edge around and edge stitch to the outside" method.

I left one of the side seams open on the inside to insert the elastic, and I didn't sew it closed, just in case the elastic needs to be adjusted at some point.

The back, of course, looks a lot like the front.

If you make the effort, you can see where a print ended up next to itself, from row to row.  That happened on the front, too, even though I laid everything out and tried to check that that wouldn't happen--I even remembered to do that before serging the seam allowances, so they'd be easier to pick out!  But, no, it still happened.  I decided to grit my teeth and accept it.  And then it happened on a side seam, even though I was trying to keep track of things to prevent that while laying out each row.  At that point, I just wanted to be finished, so it's fine.

I did have to mess with the color balance a bit, in an attempt to get the purples to appear as warm on my monitor as they do in real life.  Digital cameras are notoriously bad at capturing purples.


I needed 210 patches to make this.  I used a lot of fabrics leftover from other projects.  One fabric had been used in an entire project that I never really liked, so I decided, since the colors and aesthetic of the print were in line with what I wanted for this, it would be best to disassemble that and die cut as much as possible from it.
 
The candy print and the green plaid print were some of the Halloween and Halloween Coordinate (to me) prints I got last time I went to the craft thrift store.  The solid purple flannelette came from the free bin during that visit too.  The solid pink is also from the craft thrift store, from so long ago that I have given up looking for it in my archives, and bought with the intention of making a button up shirt from it.  I'm no longer sure if that's what I want to do with it, but there's probably still more than enough left to do so.


I do like this color combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment