Sunday, August 23, 2026

Repair and Update

 The Découpage Dress once again needed repair--I saw that the underarm seam on one side was open, and I initially thought the fabric had ripped.  But!  It turned out that the stitching had just come undone, so I was able to easily re-sew that....and then deal with an area next to the seam that was worn through.

Since I still have the  fabric I cut off of the bottom of the original configuration, I cut a square of that, folded over the edges, and zigzagged it in place.

 

It's not elegant, but it's in the underarm, so it's fine.

Then I sewed over the stitching under the other arm, just in case. 

For the updated dress, I realized that I could use the same approach of adding another layer of ruffle under the existing ruffle to lengthen the Sew It dress, which I do like, but I never wore because it was very short.

I cut pieces 5" wide, to add 3" beyond the dress's existing 2" ruffle.  I cut both of them selvedge to selvedge, which made it a little wider than the seam I'd be sewing it to (oh, and, I had top stitched the ruffle seam, so I did buckle down and pick out allllll that top stitching.)   I just pinned it thoroughly and let it bunch up naturally gather between the pins.

Then I added a row of wide black cluny lace, to make the black of the ruffle extension possibly make more sense.

This print is still so delightfully weird and mildly creepy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment