Thursday, September 10, 2026

Brown???

When I found the surprise assortment of yardage at the regular thrift store a few months ago, I further surprised myself by actively liking a brown-based print so much.  But I did like it!

And there was a decent amount of it--more than enough to be the main fabric in another Gunne Sax style dress!  I already had several other prints to coordinate with it, too.

Except...

I realized last week that I've only been making those--and a lot of the other dresses over the last year--because they're fun to make, and not because I actually want to wear them.

So,what do I want to wear?  It didn't take much reflection to realize it was Fake Burda 6401, with no trim or ruffles--tiers are fine, but ruffles are pushing it too far toward Gunne Sax froufrou.

So!  That's what I made with most (but definitely not all) of the brown print. 

And I like it!

Of course, I only have one shade of brown thread, and it's not the rich dark brown of this print, but it turns out to be close enough to the red that it's not too jarring in the top stitching on the sleeve bands

Or the hem, which was run through the large hem roller, and with absolutely no problems.  This really is lovely fabric to work with.

I do have that brown thread in my serger, which I've been using for months just to save my other serger threads for when they're necessary, and that is a pretty good match for this fabric.

I did think about doing visible facings and bias tape around the neckline, but making them both from the same fabric as the rest of the dress, because I do very much appreciate the fact that that facing approach cannot flip around where it's not wanted, but I felt like that would still create a busier, fussier look than I was aiming for, so normal facings it is.  They are understitched, though!

Of course there are pockets. 

The matching serger thread does look nice inside, but how often is anyone going to look inside my clothes?  I'll keep using the brown for everything. 

Nothing unusual going on back there. 

I do admit, I might also have been influenced to make this because I'm ready for fall weather! But don't expect me to make lots of brown projects now...although there are some brown fabrics that have been in my stash for a very long time...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment