Sunday, September 29, 2024

Purple Glitch Shirt

It's another McCall's 6613, again modified and all directions ignored, and again in an obnoxious print for The Child.

This fabric was thrifted in 2018, in one of the big fabric grab bags one thriftstore used to do instead of selling fabric pieces separately.  I probably would have bought it if it had been separate.

It's a cotton broadcloth, and although it's slightly heavy, it still doesn't feel like a quilting cotton.  I was never sure what to do with it, but I recently had the idea it was no heavier than the fabric in a work shirt, so it should work for another nicely loud shirt for the kiddo; when I presented the idea, it was met with an approving cackle, and here we are.

Assembly went the same as the previous few long sleeved versions of this I've made, with a two-part sleeve placket instead of the pattern's intended "sew the sleeves in two parts--no, they're not two-part sleeves, we're just trying to make it easy to do the sleeve opening by having it happen at the end of the seam down the arm" approach.  

I couldn't quite remember how the construction on that went, and the website I'd referred to before is gone, so I had to find a new reference site.  This one is much more thorough. My work on them isn't great, but they'll probably be rolled up anyway.

I'm also assuming the shirt will never be buttoned, instead worn open over a T-shirt, which is how the other button-up shirts made for The Child have been styled.

I picked out and re-started the top stitching on the collar a few times; when finally I got to this point and the stitches went a bit askew, I was not picking them out and starting again.

As with all my shirts with button bands, I pressed the hem area before assembling anything, then encased the ends of the pressed hem areas in the bottom of the bands--which were sewn first to the wrong sides of the front opening, then flipped around so the already-pressed edges could be edge stitched from the front--and didn't actually stitch the hem until construction was nearly complete.  Is this proper and acceptable?  Dunno.  The finish makes me happy, so I keep doing it.

I had buttons in good colors to match that did not have sufficient quantities, so I went with trustworthy fake horn.

Someday, maybe, maybe I'll make one of these shirts with French seams (and that sleeve method shared by Male Pattern Boldness), so that there are no exposed hem edges inside at all, but that day has not yet arrived and I serged the seam allowances in this one.  I figure the green thread already in my serger would be fine.

All of the seam allowances around the yoke are hidden via the burrito method.

The lower edge of the collar stand seen here was pressed up before assembly, with the interfaced side sewn to the inside of the shirt, meaning all I had to do was edge stitch this pressed edge down from the outside.  Again: Is this correct?  Don't care.  Works for my brain.

I still wonder what other things have been made with this fabric, and how long ago (and how much is still hidden away in various stashes.)  I did not use all of it for this project--in fact, what prompted me to go ahead and make this project is that I'm planning this year's Halloween Patchwork Project, and I want to use some of this fabric in it...








No comments:

Post a Comment