Monday, September 16, 2024

Not Exactly Not Sewing (yes, it's another doll project)

I did a quick doll hair reroot, which, since I use an anchor thread method, is very vaguely like sewing the hair into the doll head

But!  There's another textile art tangent!  Because I didn't use proper doll hair for this reroot--nope, I unraveled some drawstring cord


This was the cord I used for the obijime for the first Dolly*Dolly kimono I made.  As soon as I cut it, it started slithering apart; out of curiosity, I gave it a tug, and it very easily unraveled

almost

The strands seemed to be looped around each other in a way that didn't obviously want to come apart, but I kept trying and eventually found the right direction to pull, and it completely (albeit with some resistance in spots) separated into two continuous strands that were each the perfect size to use as a plug for rerooting.  The individual fibers are much finer than doll hair, though.

When I needed to unravel a second length of this cord, it fought me on that second step.  I figured it was a matter of figuring out which was the right direction to pull from, and eventually found out that it was the end that seemed more resistant.  Before I got to that point, I had been actively unwinding the hair from the loops it formed, which rumpled the fibers enough that the strands started getting fluffy...which...honestly is a look I may try intentionally, sometime in the future


I have two more colors of this drawstring, so that might encourage some more experiments.

I had no idea what the fiber content of this drawstring is, so I did a burn test.  It seemed to lean toward nylon, but I'm not entirely sure.  All that really mattered was that it's not polypropylene, and I can more confidently say that it isn't (I had some other doll hair to test, and its burn behavior did seem more in line with poly, so, sadly--because it was a lovely dark green--I threw it away.  A reroot is enough work that I don't want to use a fiber that will self destruct in a decade or so.)


No comments:

Post a Comment