Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Another Carbuncle

 So in November I made a simple little felt Puyo Puyo Carbuncle for the kiddo.  As I am not much of a plush maker, it turned out...oddly.

That, however, did not stop me from trying again, on a larger scale.

 

 I am still not much of a plush maker.

I found this old official--and large--Carbuncle plush in Mandarake's archives

It was long since sold out, and would have ended up about $200 shipped, so not something to buy even if it were in stock.

But I looked at the conspicuous seams and thought...maybe I could do that?

I made this sketch

and went to JoAnn and ended up buying a super fluffy minky, which...yeah, I knew it would be too stretchy.

And then I cut things cross grain, so the greater stretch goes up and down, which probably adds to why he's Long Carby.  My freehand fabric cutting probably didn't help anything--including forgetting to make the lower front in two parts, which might? have eliminated some of the stretch there.  As it is, I put a dart in it once I realized it was too late to make it two parts.

I also grabbed a package of safety eyes from JoAnn, and glued on a red rhinestone I already had.  I didn't think about my lack of polyfil until I was already making this; I figured I could use the odd lengths of leftover batting, but I mostly used the scraps from the extra fluffy orange and gray knits plus the scraps from cutting out this project.

He's 22"/56cm tall, so...kinda big.

I honestly feel like I could have gotten the shape better if I had used real fake fur and cut it on grain.  But!  I didn't, so here we are.


No comments:

Post a Comment