Thursday, March 9, 2023

Web Slip

 I ended the previous project post with a bit of a lament about thinking it looked boring and could use a little something extra.  Maybe a layering item?

Like this

I made a lace layering dress a few years ago that I just...didn't like.  It was hard to style and awkward to wear and I don't have it anymore.  This should better fill the wardrobe space (and, no, I don't plan to wear it any way besides as a layer on top of other things.)


I've had fun with this thrifted spiderweb (and spiders) lace, including making a cardigan and a scarf from it.

I used the slip pattern from McCall's 6696--a popular pattern, but not for the slip.  Maybe someday I'll make one of the dress views from that pattern.  Maybe. For now, I've only used the slip, and only once before, for something silly (that I also plan to layer, but haven't yet figured out over what.)

Not that I paid any attention to the pattern instructions, starting with not cutting on the bias, because it's a knit, and also because I swung it very wide, so it would be roomy enough to easily fit over the dress in the previous post.

I made some 9mm double fold bias tape specifically for this, from a small and oddly-shaped piece of lightweight possibly poly cotton blend.  There ended up being only a few inches excess.

Side seams were almost simply serged, but I went ahead and did french seams.

I needed just over 2 yards of lace to finish the bottom edge, and a quick dig through the lace stash found this, which I initially chose because it wasn't noticeably denser or heavier in appearance from the spiderweb lace.


And only later did I realize it has a vaguely spider-web-like motif in the design.  I didn't do that on purpose.

I'm not sure if wearing this will end up looking like 1990s Throwback Style (which is In™ right now) (note: I was way too uptight to wear stuff like this in the actual 1990s), or just a mess.

 I plan to find out tomorrow! With big stompy Doc Martens, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment