Thursday, October 27, 2022

Halloween Patchwork Jumper Fix

 Last year, I made a Halloween-themed patchwork jumper from Kwik Sew 4138 McCall's It's Sew Simple 9603 (they're the same pattern.)  Since it was a new-to-me pattern, I chose a waist size that ended up larger than needed

and only got around to fixing that this week

(inadvertently spooky photo?)

I tried it on and pinched out the waistband so it felt comfortable on my waist, instead of falling generously below it--ended up being 3"

I picked out a few inches of top stitching around the waistband side seams, four times for each side, plus several structural seams, to free the skirt and expose the seams.  It was annoying work.

Then I cut off the seam allowances at those waistband side seams and sewed new seams at ¾", followed by gathering the skirt a bit more to fit the new waist band width between the untouched stitching, then sewed everything back together.

I do not care that there are now thick lumps of back tacking on the top stitching.  No-one's going to be getting close enough to my waist to see.

Now, maybe I'll finally wear this!  ...mostly next year, since this year's Halloween is only a few days away.

No comments:

Post a Comment