Thursday, August 11, 2022

More Kid Pants

 So I mentioned, in the post about the sequin fabric, that there hadn't been anything that struck me as suitable for making pants for the kiddo.  There were some that were close, but I was so overwhelmed by completely unexpectedly finding the perfect sequin fabric that my standards for pants cloth was raised accordingly.

When we were shopping the next week, I glanced at the pre-cut bins and noticed that at least one of the "would have been considered good enough had they not been compared to perfection" fabrics was still there.  I did not get anything that day, but I thought about it, and when we found ourselves low on a particular grocery a few days later, I took the opportunity to go back to that Walmart and see what, exactly, they still had.  (Even though the needed grocery item was an Aldi thing.)

I got 3 yards of a kelly green french terry that is heavy enough to work for pants, as well as possibly another try at making the kid's perpetual green jacket (because his arms are now very much longer than the second version's sleeves), and two yards of a somewhat sturdy light heather gray rib knit (I know most heather fabrics have a significant amount of polyester for the contrast, and I haven't done a burn test to see if there's any cotton at all in this.)

That rib knit is where I started

I have mentioned his noodle physique, yes?

For years I have hesitated to sew the main pieces of a garment from narrow rib knit, due to sewing projects when I was younger that resulted in very stretched-out edges.  Oh, sure, I won't hesitate to use a rib knit to finish an edge, but, the rest of the garment?  I so very wanted to sew something for my kid, though, that I decided to go ahead and see if my fabric handling skills had improved in the intervening...uh...decades.

Well, huh, yeah.  They did.

I used New Look 6766 again


but this time I went with the "misses" pants view C.  I cut size 10 and straightened out the hip curve and also the ankle flare, and cut the length to the lines marked for the largest size.  

Since it's me, I did some extra top stitching, especially around the pockets

I started to press the edges under to form those pockets before applying them, but I remembered I had some athletic knit mesh (in the doll cloth for ages) and cut the pocket shapes from those and sewed them right-sides together at the edges before turning and then pressing.

I did the double rows of stitching on the pocket opening edge, then pinned the pocket pieces in place and sewed the two rows of stitching directly to the pants legs.

I also did two rows of stitching below the waistband, which also got a line of center stitching because I was using ¾" elastic instead of the 1½" elastic the pattern calls for.

The cuffs were finished with bands of the same ribbing, along with two completely gratuitous rows of stitching.

He has not tried them on yet.  I expect them to be a bit long.  It's also possible the elastic could be snug, but that will be easy enough to fish out and re-sew with less overlap.

I mostly just can't wrap my brain around being as tall and thin as this kid is.  But that won't stop me trying to make clothes for him.


No comments:

Post a Comment