Saturday, August 31, 2024

Out of This World OMGs (and the sewing done for them)


The ultimate purpose of the LOL OMG-size qi pao/cheongsam pattern in the previous post was to make a dress for the very 1960s style LOL OMG that I painted purple
 
 
Why did I paint a LOL OMG purple?  Honestly, it's because I suspected that the exaggerated cartoonish shapes of the OMG design would work well in a fantasy skin tone, but I suspect that's something MGA will never actually decide to produce.  So. I decided to paint some myself.

I painted another one green.
 
 
Green's dress is made from a galactic print quilting cotton, using a pattern I drafted right before I cut the fabric.  An A-line halter dress does not need a lot of fitting tweaks.  I also drafted the pattern for her tights right before cutting them, and the stretchiness of the fabric meant they fit the extreme curves of the LOL hips surprisingly well.

Purple's dress was made from a sturdy (not tissue) lamé that was scavenged from a terrible, full-skirted dress from a large cheap doll (which had an interesting head that found its way to another body.)  Well, relatively sturdy, for lamé.  There are some slightly shredded bits on the back darts and one of the side seams where I clipped a little to close to the stitches, and the fabric pulled apart slightly while maneuvering the dress onto the body.  I never intended these to be their forever clothes, so it's fine for now.

The wigs are made from long pile faux fur, using a modified technique from an early 1970s craft book I stumbled across on eBay years ago.  By 'modified' I mean making the bouffants as wigs, instead of pinning the fake fur directly to the doll head as directed in the book.  I have roughly followed the directions for similar doll hair by gluing the fake fur directly to the doll head, too.  To make removable wigs, I first wrapped cling film smoothly over the heads, then a layer of thin knit (ideally it would have been tulle, but I couldn't find my spool of tulle until after the project was finished.)  Secure those around the neck, then spread glue on the scalp area and start attaching things.  Once dry, remove the layers, pull the cling film out, and carefully trim away the knit/tulle.  Wig accomplished! (Styling done separately.)
 


Part of what made this project take so long was because I decided to do a video




No comments:

Post a Comment