Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Pink'n'Punk'n

Untold years ago, I bought a quarter yard of an orange jack'o'lantern on white ground Halloween print from Joann; I probably figured I'd use it for doll clothes.  But.  I stopped sewing doll clothes for sale so often.  And when I thought of using it for something for me?  Well, with it being orange on white, it definitely had marks against it.

A few years ago, I got the idea of overdying it, to make the white pink. I finally did that a few weeks ago, and then I was determined to finally use it for something.

I checked the stash and juggled the length limits and ended up with this

The pink fabric is chambray left over from the cargo skirt I made about two months ago.  (I doubt I'll ever wear them together.)  The diluted dark pink Rit dye isn't a perfect match at all, but the spirit coordinates well.


(Better than any buttons I had that seemed suitable.)

Fitting the upper and lower collar on the quarter yard of fabric was no problem.  The challenge was in the front band.  I decided to make a  feature of it.


 Is it obvious? Is it weird? Do I care?

Everything else about the construction was completely straightforward, like most of the other modified Burda 7831 shirts I've made over the last few years.

I used orange thread because I don't use orange thread much, so there's plenty to spare.

The sleeve fits well into the armscye--there's a tiny bit of ease, but not enough to be annoying.

As usual, I pressed everything possible before beginning assembly, including the sleeve hems, which I unfold to sew the under arm seam, then fold back up along the pressed lines and can jump directly to sewing the hems, no need to wrestle the whole shirt around the sleeve board.


Still white thread in the serger, although I think maybe I'll be ready to change it to black soon.  Maybe.

Nothing of note going on on the back, except maybe the noticeable ease where the neckline was attached to the collar band.  We'll ignore that going forward.



No comments:

Post a Comment