Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Green Plaid A-line Skirt

As I was sorting the fabrics I got from the craft thrift store last Thursday, I realized that the "plaid medallions on dark blue" jacquard coordinated nicely with the "dark green with blue, yellow, and red accents" brushed twill plaid I had also picked up that day, so I decided I would make a skirt to go with the vest.

Ideally, the skirt would have been pleated, but one yard of 58" is not enough to get pleats around my body. The second most stereotypical idea would be cut on the bias, but, even if there had been enough fabric to eke that out, it turned out the plaid was very subtly uneven, so wouldn't have worked well on the bias. So!  Good ol' New Look 6843 it is, view E.

I have made this skirt enough that I have figured out the quirks and shortcuts, so it goes quickly.

And the somewhat thick brushed twill--pretty sure it's cotton and not wool, especially with how it responded to being washed and dried--pressed nicely and let the Necchi's improvised blind hem stitch be fairly unobtrusive

(the sewing machine has a blind hem cam, but it's really hard to get it to disengage and I have not yet taken any time to figure out why, so I take advantage of the 539's weird on-the-fly 'zigzag engagement and width control' to manually move the needle over every few stitches.)

I decided I did not want the brushed texture on the outside.  But.  There was no way I was leaving the grabby fuzzy inside unlined.

I  generally line this pattern anyway, so there were no issues with it (especially since I've finally figured out how to attach the zipper to the lining in a fully machine-sewn way that I like.)  I did decide to try out a blind hem on the lining for a change, although I did not bother with changing the thread. It's still not too obtrusive, and no-one's going to look.

A vintage metal tooth zipper was the first one I found in the right color, and it was also just the right length.

The center back pattern matching is...not great, especially in terms of the distance between those yellow stripes, but the demands of limited yardage are what they are.

I'm honestly not sure if I would have worn an A-line skirt like this in high school--not out of a dislike of the style as much as because A-line skirts weren't, as far as i can remember, on trend at the time. (And as much as I would have denied it back then, I was very trendy--I just wasn't following the same trends that everyone I went to school with was following.)  I made so many A-line skirts after I started sewing a few years later, though, as the trends of the early '90s gave way to the 1970s-influences of the later '90s.

Right now, I look at this and amusedly wonder if it would qualify as Dark Academia.


No comments:

Post a Comment