Because it's always nice to think about weather that isn't boiling hot (although boiling hot is a little more pleasant than roasting hot)
I used Simplicity 8072 and the floral knit I thrifted several yards of a few months ago to make the longest length with the long sleeves (which, curiously, is not a combination the pattern acknowledges.)
It's extremely shapeless on the hanger!
On the body it gets curvier, partly because I forgot that, when I made it before, I had graded from 12 at the bust to 16 at the hips, and I cut this entirely in 14, so it does cling in some areas.
The main reason I made this dress was because I could--I rarely have this much of a knit fabric available. I figure it'll be a low effort way to look a little polished in winter, while loading layers under and over it, so it's OK if it looks a little plain.
I did again consider not actually making buttonholes and just sewing the buttons through all layers, but I obviously changed my mind. The bottom buttonhole ended up askew. It's fine.
I turned the hems twice and stitched them once, instead of my usual turn once and stitch twice so it looks like it was coverstitched.
Since this fabric is cotton, it cooperated nicely with the turning and stitching.
As is usual with me and knits, I did all construction on the lockstitch machine and serged the seams solely for tidiness.
I have made a big note on the pattern to think about ADDING POCKETS in the future. I don't use my pockets much, but they're still missed when they're not there.






No comments:
Post a Comment