Saturday, June 1, 2024

It's a Cinch

 So, in the previous post's ramblings, I mentioned that I did not have a good belt.  Although I don't go to thrift stores much at all anymore, I do want to try to remember to look for a leather belt whenever I do go.

I did realize, though, that I do have some odds and ends of leather, and wondered if any of the pieces were large enough, and heavy enough, to cut a stopgap belt from?


Now, I have read about what you're supposed to do to properly finish a leather belt, and it requires a lot of specialized equipment that I can't think of a jury-rigged alternative to use, so this is far from a proper belt, but it looks, at a glance, like a belt.

The leather is slightly thin and slightly stretchy, and I obviously don't have any rivets (I've thought of getting some, along with the appropriate dies for the grommet setter, just in case, but, at the time, I couldn't think of what I'd actually use them for), but I feel like I did a passable job rigging it up from what I have on hand.

I used a different, thinner, piece of leather to secure the integrated loop in place.  There's a stitched overlap hidden under that piece of leather.

I know that, ideally, it would have been done with an extension of the part that's folded back to secure the buckle, but I was eking out as much length as possible and didn't have that much length to spare.  This ended up 40" long.  I have no idea if that's how long it should be, compared to my waist.  It does look like it should be fastened in the center most hole, which I can make happen by putting one more grommet in, so the hole I put in where I want it fastened in in the center.  I probably won't do that.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment