Thursday, February 29, 2024

Orange Check

 The siren song of the Walmart mill end precuts enticed me into getting two yards of vivid orange knit, with the idea I'd use it to make something for the kiddo.  What would that be?  Enh, I'd figure it out.

And here we are.


I once again used Kwik Sew 1650 for the actual pattern


but I was heavily influenced by the pieced checkerboard pattern on the cover of the Elna version of Kwik Sew 1487

Interestingly(?), the piecing for that checkerboard part is not included in the actual pattern.

I improvised by using the 4½" quilt square to cut pieces from various knit remnants in three colors, and just enough to be the full width of the lower front.

I did the construction on the lockstitch machine, but still finished all the raw edges with the serger.  The Elna branding would probably be disappointed in me.

Everything else was completely straightforward for this pattern, including the vintage Kwik Sew ¼" seam allowances, and limiting myself to only top stitching around the neckline band.

I did add a touch of width to the cuffs, and a lot more to the waist band, so it wouldn't draw the bottom in such an extreme amount, resulting in a slouchier-looking shirt (which is good.)

Nothing fancy on the back, keeping this a quick project.

I am pondering making another version of this, but for me, and from a markedly different color scheme.  I do have ideas for things I want to sew!  I've just been finding things other than sewing to do lately, which is why my sewing output has been brought down to "copious" instead of the previous years' levels of "ridiculous."

No comments:

Post a Comment