Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Faux Nineties

 Faux Nineties, Veritable Wax Print

Or, at least, so its says.  I think it may be a screen print, because there is a noticeable difference between the front and the back of the print, although it does take some squinting to see.

Overall, though, I think it passes as much for a late era Memphis/early era Factory Pomo style of print, so that it reads as more of a 1990s Throwback design than a wax print (real or not)

It's another McCall's 6613 shirt for the kiddo, although it will be months until it's wearable.

I kept the top stitching to single rows of edge stitching in strategic places.

I also remembered to trim away the seam allowances inside the collar stand so the area isn't so thick the button won't go through the button hole.  Most of the 6613s I've made would never have that top button fastened anyway, but it's the principle of the thing.

Buttonholes made with the vintage buttonholer, buttons zigzagged on with the button foot.  It would probably take less time to sew the buttons on bu hand, since I still wrap the thread tails around the stitches to make a shank, then bring the loose threads to the back where they all get tied off and then fabric glued.  Maybe I'll try that--hand-sewing the buttons--sometime.

The yoke was sewn with the burrito method, and all the hems (and button band edges and collar band edge) were pressed under before anything was sewn to anything else.  The side seams and sleeve seams were finished with the serger.  I may consider trying the sleeve approach shared by MalePatternBoldness again, plus french seams on the side sometime, just because it would amuse me to have no serging.  Maybe.

I figured using the white for the edge stitching was a nice balance between all of the possible color options--I have pretty good thread matches for the yellow-green and dark blue, too.

There's definitely a lot more going on with the print on the back of the shirt than on the front.

I had just under two yards of this, at about 45" wide, so I couldn't be too picky about print placement...even though I honestly thought I had placed the pattern pieces so there were many more bold elements on the front.  That's fine!  The back's not boring.


No comments:

Post a Comment