Thursday, November 16, 2023

Bubblegum

A few months a go, I finally made an 'official' Fake Burda 6401 pattern, instead of improvising it each time I wanted to make it, and yesterday I finally tried using the pattern.

It works pretty well!

The bodice could maybe be a bit shorter, but, the main thing I want to tweak is that there is some ease in the sleevecaps that I could not flatten--well, maybe I could have, if I'd wanted to put work into it.  Which I did not want to do.  So they're slightly gathered.

It's possible the issue is that this glazed cotton is just too sturdy to ease that much, but I'd feel better if there were no ease in the sleeve cap anyway.  A fabric's ability to ease doesn't matter when there's no ease!

I did a lock stitch machine blind hem, and the fabric's sturdiness got in the way a bit there, too.  I have been spoiled by blind hemming so many spongy woolens and flannels.

I very definitely included a pocket piece in this pattern, and used it, and admitted there was no way to take a picture of the pocket opening from the outside that, in this muted pink color, didn't look lewd. So! Here's a view of a pocket bag inside the skirt, along with all the "I'm not changing the thread color" serged seam finishes.

I was happy that I got the adjustments on the ruffler foot just about right for both the gathers at the sleeve cuff and for the skirt gathers.  Always nice when that happens.

I believe the real Burda 6401has a center back zipper...which many reviews say is unnecessary.  I couldn't remember if I'd cobbled this pattern together with the need of a zipper, and had managed to find one of a suitable color and length in my zipper stash.  It went back into the stash for some other project.

I finished it and said Oh No It's So Plain! but then I reminded myself that was the point.  Part of it is that I did hope the glaze would make it noticeably shinier, but, overall, I do feel like I needed another solid dress, and, this time, not in black (and not in a color combination I ended up donating)


And, oh, hey, it coordinates well with this jacket!

No comments:

Post a Comment