Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Tiny Stripe Cap

There was more than enough fabric left from the previous project to make another of the Timber Lane Press Kaleidoscope Caps

Not as kaleidoscopic, if course


Not much to say about this project--it had been long enough since I'd made the previous two that I had to thoroughly reread all of the instructions, which are overall very straightforward, albeit maybe not as clearly formatted as they could be, and I still criticize it for not knowing about notching outwardly curved seams before turning.  But.  I know about notching outwardly curved seams before turning, so I could...do...that.

I probably could have done it more, because the brim turned out a but lumpy in spots


And, yes: wool = cat hair everywhere

One again used six layers of heavy embroidery stabilizer for inside the brim.  I know Male Pattern Boldness mentioned finding cardboard in a commercially-made newsboy cap brim, so I've been watching for a nice dense cardboard to maybe use for that sometime, too.

Not super refined, but it would have been worse if I'd continued my stubborn confidence in not needing to press any of the seams before sewing the two halves together--no matter how much I tried to flatten things and tack them in place before sewing the center where all the seams meet, I couldn't get it right.  I was very glad for the part of the instructions that said to baste only the center together to check that everything lines up before sewing the entire seam, because that short length of basting is easier to pick out and re-do than the entire seam.  I think I tried it three times before I finally plugged in the iron and pressed everything, and it worked wonderfully the next try.  Didn't even feel like it needed to be covered by a button.

Used actual lining fabric, to, from a roll I thrifted years ago that's still going strong.

I find I'm getting more stubborn about the purpose of lining being to make things slip smoothly over other things, and the fact that lining makes things look neater inside is a nice bonus, but not the reason.  So, to that end, as much fun as a calico would be inside one of these hats, it's not going to provide the slippy smoothness I want.  So: acid green shine inside it is!


No comments:

Post a Comment